Managing a Data Center
Managing a Data Center
What is Data Center Management?
Data Center Management refers to the role of individuals normally data center managers, who are tasked with overseeing technical and IT related problems.
This typically means managing computer and server room operations, controlling the flow of large amounts of data, services and applications while ensuring that the data is adequately protected and secured both physically and via software.
While some of these tasks must be directly managed, many can be automated, thereby reduce the number of on-site employees, eliminate unnecessary manual tasks, and reduce associated business costs.
What problems usually arise in everyday data center management?
1. Management of many vendors and their associated equipment. Applications, operating systems that have different contracts, warranties, process, licenses, patches and upgrade processes.
2. Management of multiple server rooms or data centers that have varying levels of maturity, legacy equipment, processes, and procedures in place.
3. Maintaining service level agreements in increasingly complex environments. With different requirements for application availability, data retention, speed of recovery, and network availability. Your job is a minefield.
4. Monitoring change where there are aging or practically no change control processes in place. Added with old equipment, and the inability to keep infrastructure up to date.
5. Managing products procured based on 'best-cost' regardless of whether they are deployed in mission critical, virtualized, or colocation. Additionally monitoring energy and cooling costs that remain a high percent of your annual budget.
6.Deploying new servers or applications with a limited understanding or no understanding of key resource availability - cooling capacity, network capacity, power, space, as well as inconsistent policies and implementation structure.
What makes a good DCIM?
How does Data Center Infrastructure Management Software improve Data Center Management?
A well-oiled Data Center is one in which Data Center Managers use the tools and insight to provide a resilient environment where risk is minimized, uptime is maximized, and services and applications can be delivered fast with minimal costs.
Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) tools dramatically simplify data center management by giving data center operators the ability to run efficient data center operations and improve data center infrastructure planning and design. It typically replaces Excel, Visio, and home grown databases.
Constantly monitoring critical facilities infrastructure, DCIM software polls equipment, collects, trends, and reports on data, and monitors for threshold violations. With built in alerting, you can react before failures impact users and services.
Automatically collect data from building feeds, IT loads, and non-IT loads for immediate calculation and trending of PUE across all your data centers to ensure corporate energy efficiency initiatives.
Reservations, moves, adds, and changes are easily accomplished through fully integrated and automated workflow management. Process assurance, tracking and audit trails dramatically increase employee productivity and morale.
There are no products to list in this category.